Saturday, April 24, 2010

Were You Getting Lectured?

So I can't help but laugh because of my night at work last night. It started off pretty rough and the tension was building. One of the servers came up and said some smart remark to me and as she was walking up the stairs she tripped. I felt horrible for laughing but I just couldn't keep it in. Looking around, guests at a near by table tried to keep in as well. He looked down towards the ground and covered his mouth. I could tell by his body language that he was giving it his all not to bust out laughing.
We had another guest who came in an just by his posture and facial expressions I knew he wasn't a happy man. When noticing this, I tried to be friendly and welcome (more than usual) to make him feel comfortable and to improve his body language. It didn't seem to work and it was a bit disappointing. Throughout this challenge I have made a point of trying to pick up on the small body language cues to improve someone's mood or my relationship with them, but if someone is not receptive, there is not much that I can do.
Another thing that made me laugh tonight at work tonight was when I was watching two of the other greeters (who are sisters) talk from across the room. I could see one sister moving her hands and head as she was talking to the other. As the other sister walked over to me, I asked "Were you getting lectured?". She couldn't figure out how I know and I told her I have been making an effort to pay attention to body language. All she could do was laugh because I know what was going on just by observing and not hearing any part of their conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment